Submit to read at Novel Nights
There are three slots of five-minutes for writers to read their writing during the first half of Novel Nights. The audience are a group of friendly writers and readers.
We want to hear prose which delights, tells a story with skill, hooks a room of people and won’t make them fidget. If you are chosen to read you get free entry to Novel Nights, your name on the programme and publicised on twitter, facebook and on this website. We accept novel extracts and short stories.
- 800-word extract of your writing; no more than 5 minutes reading time
- Choose a scene from your novel or a short story that will work as a piece to listen to. – not too much dialogue but something self-contained that shows off the story and your writing style. Don’t choose a scene with lots of characters in it
- Photos of yourself – please label with your name
- Cover photo of book, if you are published
- Your name (or writing pseudonym), and twitter handle
- Writer Bio – a 30 word version for our programme, a longer version for our information about you, your writing etc
- How to Send
- Send your work and bio in the body of the email
- Photos can be sent as an attachment
How we choose
- At least three of us consider your work. We look for strong, well-crafted writing that will delight and excite an audience.
- We choose extracts that fit in with the theme of the night or that fit with each other. If you are not chosen it doesn’t mean we think you are not good enough! These things are subjective.
What happens on the night?
- You will be introduced and the compere for the evening may ask you a couple of questions about your writing or story.
- You share your writing to riotous applause!
- Email work to : firstname.lastname@example.org
GOOD LUCK !
Spaces to read at the following events 2017:
October 25th 2017 Guest speaker: Dionne McCulloch editor at Cornerstones Literary Consultancy is coming. Novel extracts on any subject. Novel Nights is keen to schedule extracts from unpublished writers. Closing date October 1st
November 29th 2017: Guest author, Susan Elderkin on Write a Life-changing Novel. Closing date November 1st.
Once you submit, we will respond to you, usually at the start of each month with a decision.
Readers at September’s Novel Nights
Fancy being a guest speaker at Novel Nights?
- Get in touch with your proposal to email@example.com
- We programme talks from published authors, publishers, and industry professionals
- We’re keen to have speakers who want to share an aspect of writing, genre, writing craft, or anything else that might interest a group of other writers.
- The guest speaker slot consists of a talk, tips & Q and A. We pay.
- The audience is well-read and well informed.
Guest Speaker Gallery 2017