Reading at Novel Nights
There are five-minute slots for writers to read their writing during the first half of Novel Nights. The audience are a group of friendly writers and readers.
We want to hear prose which delights, tells a story with skill, hooks a room of people and won’t make them fidget. If you are chosen to read you get comp entry to Novel Nights, your name on the programme and publicised on twitter, facebook and on this website. We accept novel extracts and short stories.
Submission guidelines – send us
- 800-word extract of your writing; no more than 5 minutes reading time
- Choose a scene from your novel or a short story that will work as a piece to listen to. – not too much dialogue but something self-contained that shows off the story
- We will choose the best writing that fits with the ‘theme’ of the evening, if there is one.
- A picture of yourself – please label with your name
- Your name (or writing pseudonym), and twitter handle
- Send your work and bio in the body of an email please.
Email work to : email@example.com
Spaces to read at the following events 2017:
July 24th 2017: Novel extracts on any subject. Guest speaker Dan Jeffries will talk about assisted publishing with tips on getting the most out of Facebook, social media, marketing and crowd-funding. Closing date July 10th
September 18th 2017. Thriller writer, Gilly Macmillan is headlining. Submit a piece if you write crime or psychological suspense or your short story contains elements of suspense or page-turning qualities. Closing date September 1st
October 25th 2017 Guest tbc. Novel extracts on any subject. Closing date October 1st
November 29th 2017: Our guest is Susan Elderkin discussing her non-fiction book, The Novel Cure – a guide to which books to buy for any condition such as depression, lost love or going cold turkey. Tell us what your writing would be a cure for and then send it in. Closing date November 1st.