- This event has passed.
May: Getting your book noticed with Debbie Young, Dan Jeffries and AA Abbott
May 19, 2016 @ 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm£5
You’ve published your book, what next? An author chat on promoting your writing and connecting with readers. We’ve three talented authors who can talk about their experiences. Topics will include social media, websites, working with bookshops, e-newsletters, getting on radio or TV, PR, design and graphics, marketing and when to pay for help. There will be plenty of time for audience questions.
Our guest authors:
- Debbie Young – Commissioning Editor of the Alliance of Independent Authors’ Advice Centre blog, director, Hawksbury Upton Literary Festival and author
- Dan Jeffries – author Me, Myself and Eye, and brilliant at publicity
- AA Abbott (Helen) – author of 3 crime novels, avid blogger and tweeter
Debbie Young is the author of warm, funny fiction and helpful, friendly non-fiction, including how-to books for self-published authors. She is the Commissioning Editor of the Alliance of Independent Authors‘ Advice Centre blog, a speaker on self-publishing and book marketing, and a regular panellist of BBC Radio Gloucestershire’s Book Club. She founded and directs the Hawkesbury Upton Literature Festival (www.hulitfest.com) and runs author groups in Bristol and Cheltenham. She is never bored. www.authordebbieyoung.com Twitter: @DebbieYoungBN
The Alliance of Independent Authors is a global non-profit group bringing together self-published and indie authors around the globe to share best practice and moral support, as well as campaigning and raising awareness of the self-publishing sector. It was founded by best-selling novelist Orna Ross, who for the last two years has been named one of the 100 most influential people in publishing. Authors are welcome to join at any stage in their career, from aspiring writer to bestselling author, and everything in between. Membership brings valuable networking opportunities with like-minded authors all over the world, plus many discounts and deals of financial value. Blog:www.selfppublishingadvice.org ALLi membership website: www.
- the importance of centring your book promotion campaign on your website and how to set up and maintain one effectively
- the best (and most realistic way) to work with bookshops to promote your books
- what ALLi can offer you to help you market your books
- why “book marketing begins at home” – i.e. start small on your home territory to build your confidence and competence before trying to conquer the world!
Dan has an amazing story to tell. Born with an incredibly rare vascular condition that left him blind in one eye from birth, ‘Me, Myself & Eye’ explores what it’s like living with one of the world’s rarest medical conditions — and then finding out you have another one. Set in Bristol, Dan recounts school, University, love, creativity and everything in-between. Always willing to embrace new technology, Dan’s story encourages the reader to use their mobile device whilst reading to view images, documents, video and more, all designed to enhance the reading experience. Published by Tangent Books, available as iBook, eBook and Audio Book coming soon.
Dan’s great at publicity – he’s got his own pop-up banner and C5 made a documentary about him. He will talk about
- engaging with media
- audio/visual content
- documentary for Me Myself and Eye
- enewsletters and strategies for growing her mailing lists
- live twitter ‘hours’
- working with a PR /marketing company
- the importance of a support network